Queen Elizabeth II was a highly respected and influential leader who served as the queen of the United Kingdom and the other Commonwealth realms for more than 70 years. During her reign, she demonstrated a number of leadership qualities that made her an effective and admired leader. Let’s explore five key aspects of Queen Elizabeth II’s leadership style and how business leaders can adopt them to improve their organizations.
Duty and responsibility
- Queen Elizabeth II was known for her strong sense of duty and responsibility, and she always put the needs of her country and her people first. This commitment to duty and responsibility is a key aspect of effective leadership, as it demonstrates a dedication to the mission and values of the organization.
- Business leaders can adopt this approach by focusing on the needs of their customers and employees and putting their organization’s mission and values ahead of personal gain. Here are some specific steps you can take to adopt this aspect of Queen Elizabeth II’s leadership style:
- Clearly define your organization’s mission and values and make them a priority in your decision-making.
- Communicate your commitment to duty and responsibility to your team and model this behavior in your own actions.
- Prioritize the needs of your customers and employees and work to create a culture of service within your organization.
Fairness and impartiality
- Queen Elizabeth II was known for being fair and impartial, and she worked hard to ensure that everyone in her organization was treated with respect and dignity. This commitment to fairness and impartiality is essential for building trust and cohesion within an organization.
- Business leaders can adopt this approach by being fair and impartial in their decision-making and by treating all members of their organization with respect and dignity. Here are some specific steps you can take to adopt this aspect of Queen Elizabeth II’s leadership style:
- Foster an inclusive and diverse culture within your organization, where everyone is treated with respect and equality.
- Make decisions based on facts and data, rather than personal bias or preference.
- Encourage open communication and dialogue within your organization, so that everyone has a voice and can contribute their ideas and perspectives.
Vision and strategy
- Queen Elizabeth II was known for having a clear vision and strategy for her organization, and she worked to align the efforts of her team to achieve her goals. This ability to set a clear direction and work towards it is essential for any successful leader.
- Business leaders can adopt this approach by having a clear vision and strategy for their organization and by aligning the efforts of their team to achieve their goals. Here are some specific steps you can take to adopt this aspect of Queen Elizabeth II’s leadership style:
- Clearly define your vision and goals for your organization and communicate them to your team.
- Develop a strategic plan that outlines the steps you will take to achieve your goals.
- Align the efforts of your team towards the achievement of your vision and goals, by setting clear objectives and expectations.
Communication and collaboration
- Queen Elizabeth II was known for being a strong communicator and for fostering collaboration within her organization. Effective communication and collaboration are essential for building a strong and cohesive team.
- Business leaders can adopt this approach by communicating clearly and openly with their team and by encouraging collaboration and teamwork. Here are some specific steps you can take to adopt this aspect of Queen Elizabeth II’s leadership style:
- Establish open lines of communication within your organization, by encouraging feedback and dialogue.
- Foster a collaborative culture, where everyone is encouraged to contribute their ideas and perspectives.
- Use a variety of communication channels, such as in-person meetings, email, and video conferencing, to ensure that everyone is informed and involved.
Adaptability and resilience
- Queen Elizabeth II was known for being adaptable and resilient, and she demonstrated this by navigating her organization through many challenges and changes. The ability to adapt and be resilient in the face of change is essential for any leader in today’s fast-paced business environment.
- Business leaders can adopt this approach by being adaptable and resilient in the face of change and by being open to new ideas and approaches. Here are some specific steps you can take to adopt this aspect of Queen Elizabeth II’s leadership style:
- Embrace change and look for opportunities to learn and grow from it.
- Encourage a culture of innovation and creativity within your organization, by encouraging your team to think outside the box and try new approaches.
- Develop a plan for dealing with unexpected challenges and changes, so that you can respond effectively and minimize disruptions.
- Encourage your team to be resilient and adaptable, by supporting them through times of change and helping them to develop new skills and capabilities.
In conclusion, Queen Elizabeth II was a highly respected and influential leader who demonstrated a number of key leadership qualities. By adopting these qualities in their own leadership style, business leaders can improve their organizations and achieve success. By focusing on duty and responsibility, fairness and impartiality, vision and strategy, communication and collaboration, and adaptability and resilience, you can build a strong and effective leadership style that will help you to navigate the challenges and opportunities of the modern business world.
*If you are looking to improve as a leader then you should check out my new book – The Manager Handbook: A Practical Guide to Managing Your Team – which has been ranked as a Best Selling Business Management Book on Amazon Singapore. You can pick up a copy by clicking here. Alternatively, you can search for the book on Amazon UK, US, Singapore, Germany, Spain, France, Italy, Japan, Canada or Australia among other locations to order a copy. If you are in another location, Amazon will be able to ship globally to you. It is also available as an e-book via Amazon Kindle.