Jane Austen was an English novelist who is widely regarded as one of the greatest writers in the English language. She was known for her wit, insight, and social commentary, and her work has had a lasting influence on literature. While Austen lived in a time when women were not expected to hold leadership positions in the same way that men were, she had a significant impact on literature and could be seen as a leader in her field.
Here are a few specific techniques and examples of how modern business leaders can adopt Austen’s leadership skills:
- Focus on your craft: Austen was known for her dedication to her writing and her ability to produce high-quality work. She took the time to hone her skills and was always looking for ways to improve. As Austen once said, “The more I see of the world, the more I am frustrated with it. But I will do whatever I can to make it a better place.” Modern business leaders can similarly focus on their craft and strive to be the best in their field by continuously learning and improving their skills. This could involve taking professional development courses, seeking feedback from colleagues, or staying up-to-date on industry trends.
- Be innovative: Austen was a pioneer of the novel of manners and was known for her wit, insight, and social commentary. She challenged the expectations of her time and produced work that was innovative and thought-provoking. Modern business leaders can similarly be innovative and think outside the box in order to stay ahead in their field. This could involve looking for new and creative ways to solve problems, seeking out new opportunities, or encouraging creativity and innovation within their team.
- Communicate effectively: Austen’s novels are known for their sharp dialogue and ability to convey complex ideas in a clear and concise manner. Modern business leaders can similarly strive to communicate effectively in order to get their message across and to build strong relationships with their team and clients. This could involve using clear and concise language, actively listening to others, and adapting your communication style to fit your audience.
- Persevere: Austen faced many challenges in her career, including rejection and limited opportunities due to her gender. However, she persevered and continued to write and produce high-quality work. Modern business leaders can similarly persevere in the face of challenges and setbacks in order to achieve success. This could involve setting clear goals and working towards them, seeking out support and resources when needed, and maintaining a positive attitude even in difficult circumstances.
By incorporating these leadership skills into their own leadership style, modern business leaders can improve their effectiveness and drive success in their organizations.
Thanks for reading! If you enjoyed this post, be sure to check out my international bestselling books available globally on all Amazon sites and Kindle via the following:
- The Employee Handbook: A Practical Guide for Managing Your Career
- The Manager Handbook: A Practical Guide to Managing Your Team
- The Talent Acquisition Handbook: A Practical Guide to Candidate Experience
- The HR Handbook: A Practical Guide to Employee Experience
You can also connect with me on social media for more content and updates by following the links here:
And don’t forget to visit my website at LeeNallalingham.com for hundreds of free articles like this one. Thanks for your support!